Thursday 16 June 2016

Peterhead to Whitehills - 12th June 2016

A grey start to the day as I called Peterhead port control for permission to exit. I passed Ratray Head the most easterly point of mainland Scotland and the southern most point in the inshore shipping area I am now entering.
Leaving Peterhead
Looking out to sea, more rain!
But no wind
Ratray Head light house
The southern coast the Moray Firth 
The southern coast of Moray Firth
Approaching Whitehills

Today was very odd as I steered due west in the the Moray Firth. I didn't fancy the 75 mile motor to Wick so instead opted to go to Whitehills just 38 miles. Butt his means it's only 48 miles to Wick. On the way the sun actually came out s d I saw a dolphin. I have to say I'm very glad I decided to come to this little port as it is delightful and the harbour master Bertie has been really helpful and all for £20.
Entrance to Whitehills
Poldeaux entering Whitehills, photo by the Harbour master, Bertie



 
Poldeaux moored in the outer harbour  

My stay has been longer than expected with the weather changing for the worse.  Since Tuesday its been force 5, 6 and 7.  Its given me plenty of opportunity to explore the area and the two public houses in the village. Its also allowed me to replace the AIS antenna.  Bertie very kindly drove me to McDuff to the chandlers and would not accept any payment for petrol or his time.  Now that is service!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment