Wednesday 15 June 2016

Hartlepool to Blyth - 6th June 2016

Up at 0445, breakfast and walk Captain.

A rather nervous start to the day wondering about yesterday's engine issues and the 0600 forecast which stated fog patches becoming fog banks! Still visibility seemed reasonable when I walked Captain down to the shore.

Moored alongside fishing boat in the lock at 0620, all friendly guys who seemed to think it would be a sunny day.
Leaving Harlepool

After rounding the corner off Hartlepool there was a large swell coming in from the north east but the visibility was reasonable but no or little wind as I motored north once more. Despite the lack of wind it was one of the best days out on the water I have had on this trip.

 Ships anchored off the coast
 
Flat calm conditions
 
I passed Seaham, Sunderland, the entrance to the Tyne. The last time I was sailing in the Tyne was in the Transplant Games in a topper dingy curtsey of the Tynemouth Yacht Club. I think I won gold. 

Entrance to the Tyne



On the way I saw dolphins off Souter light house, a couple of seals and lots of birds I need to look up the names off. It's official I am now in Northumberland.

Entering Blyth, Captain checking my course
 
 
The marina

The Royal Northumberland Yacht Club run the marina at Blyth and what a very warm welcome I got.  I tied up, took captain down to the beach, which turned out to be rather lovely and a contrast to the very commercial dock of Blyth.  Captain had a great time on the beach.
 
 
After the beach, I got my ruck sack on and walked into Blyth to find the motor parts shop hoping to buy some more fuel filers after finding the ones I had on board did not fit.  After a mile walk and a bit of explaining the shop that the RNYC member had suggested came up trumps.

Later in the day two guys, Colin and Len arrived who were circumnavigating the UK but west about and through the canal.  They were headed for the Solent so I was able to pass on a few tips over a beer in the club house which is an old floating light ship. It is a most peculiar club house as there is not one inch of floor that seems to be level including the showers.  Makes you feel you have been at sea too long or had too many beers! 

 
 
In the morning when I got up there was a lovely surprise a seal hauled out right besides the boat!  Captain tired to make friends but the sea was not to sure about this white bombshell approaching and plopped back in the water.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment