Wednesday 15 June 2016

Eyemouth to Arbroath - 9th June 2016

Good evening. Today we have sailed, I use the term loosely from Eyemouth to Arbroath and a lovely spot it seems to be too.

Leaving Eyemouth was an eye opener, it was flat calm but the swell was casing breaking waves at the entrance.  Wouldn't like to exit or enter on a rough day.


Even on a flat calm day you can see waves breaking on the rocks and the swell. I left at 0700 after walking Captain to a very large swell which did not bode well for ...my destination. The almanac warns not to enter Arbroath in anything more than a modest swell from the south east. And guess what the winds were due to move round to the south east! I tried calling the Harbour Master but there was no reply.

We are now in the sea area of the Aberdeen coast guard which covers the sea area to Cape Wrath and the Orkneys. I crossed my first firth today despite it being called the the forth, firth of forth. Passed St Abbs head and out into the wilderness out of sight of any land, on past Edinburgh, St Andrews, the River Tay and Dundee and its cake. I was looking at the world map and I'm now at the same latitude as Moscow, no wonder it's cold. I saw one other yacht today, heading south, busy! The work of the round UK sailer is not all sight seeing. After arriving at 1515 I took captain for a walk on another new beach and then decided I should do an engine service, oil changed, oil filter changed, anode replaced, secondary fuel filter replaced. So tomorrow my plan is to relax. As you probably know

St Abbs Head Light house
Captain relaxing

Captain looking at the Bell Rock light house
Detour to take a look at Bell Rock Light House
Bell Rock on the chart, that's close enough
 
As I have been on the move every day since leaving Hartlepool I feel I owe myself a little break so tomorrow we will explore Arbroath.

Arbroath is the birthplace of the Smokie so I have just been to buy breakfast.

Entering Arbroath
Safely moored in Arbroath

The Signal Museum - The museum holds an interesting history of the light house which is the oldest sea washed light house in the world.  It was built by Stevenson.
Smokies being smoked and sold
 
All you need to know about Arbroath
Evening meal at the Old Brewhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment