Wednesday 15 June 2016

Amble to Eyemouth - 8th June 2016

A day for reflection. I set off on the 9th May so I have been sailing a month now and today saw to boundaries crossed, I passed the 500 mile mark and crossed the boarder into Scotland. That's an average of 15 miles a day but if you take out the week stuck in Scarborough and a few days relaxing on the River Orwell that's about 20 miles a day. 

When I got up it was think fog however by the time I set off from Amble at 0800 it was clearing. It's not like sailing in the Solent... today was busy I saw two yachts. One was a Dutch guy I met in Grimsby in a boat called Benito. I tried calling him on the VHF but no reply. 

By 0915 I was off Dunstanburgh Castle and by 1100 I was inside the Farne Islands looking at the thousands of birds and day cold looking trippers paying to be taken out to the islands. The islands are a great sight with Bamburgh Castle on the mainland opposite. 

The Farne Islands
Captain cant believe how many birds there are to chase!
Inner Farne, close up
 
 
At noon I stopped for lunch off Lindisfarne. If it had been warm and sunny I would have been tempted to anchor overnight. It was a poignant time looking at Lindisfarne and the castle. I took my mum their on one of our last holidays together. A few thoughtful moments and good memories.  I have also had a connection with Lindisfarne since I was a teenager, it is the name of my father and step mothers house.   

Lindisfarne castle on rather a grey day
Anchored off a two mile long sandy beach

At 1430 I was off Berwick upon Tweed the last English town I will see for a while. At about 1530 I crossed into Scottish waters and arrived in Eyemouth at 1700 Eyemouth has a very narrow and rock strewn entrance. Fine on a calm day!

Eyemouth has an interesting entrance with rocks either side, just 17m wide!
The harbour entrance
Safely moored in Eyemouth
Looking out to sea on a calm day
The view looking north towards St Abbs Head
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment