Wednesday 15 June 2016

Hartlepool - 5th June

A day of mixed emotions and fortunes. I was indecisive about whether to press on today to Sunderland only 16 miles north or take a larger step tomorrow to Blyth about 30 miles. Eventually after looking at the various options and feeling a bit jaded after yesterday's exploits I decided to go for Blyth tomorrow.

Engine checks are important when cruising and while doing today's check I noticed a bit of water in the primary fuel filter. This is quite common as water can get ...into the tanks through condensation. The filter is designed to stop any water getting into the engine and there is a little plastic screw to undo to let the water drain out. Water sinks below the diesel. To my dismay the plastic screw broke off leaving fuel dripping from the filter. What should be a five minute job now turns into a much longer challenge. I thought I will remove it and find a bolt to replace the plastic screw. Luckily I had a bolt that would fit. As the whole thing was apart I decided to change the fuel filter. When I tried to fit the new filter it leaked. Although I purchased three for the trip have now discovered they are the wrong size! It's Sunday so no where is open so I have had to refit the old filter which didn't look to bad anyway. Then when I reassembled the whole lot the engine cut out twice. I think / hope it was air in the system which I bled and just to be sure I ran the engine for an hour to ensure it didn't cut out again. Fingers crossed. So now to feel 100% confident I need to buy some new correctly fitting filters and I think to be absolutely sure I'll replace the whole filter fitting. 

 
 
 
On the positive side the sun has at last one out the wind has now become easterly which will make tomorrow's journey easier than if I had gone today in a northerly. I also got all the washing done, had a shower too and then had a stroll around the very large Marina complex with the Captain.
 
The Harbour / lock office
 
HMS Trinocomalle, oldest floating warship, built 1817
Maritime museum
 
Poldeaux moored in Hartlepool
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment