Wednesday 18 May 2016

Portsmouth to Brighton - 9th May


Nelson said harbours rot boats and men and it certainly felt like that to me.  I had been faffing around avoiding going sailing both for valid reasons explained above but also due to my own anxiety.  At the start of every sailing season there is always a degree of nervousness and a degree of relearning what you have forgotten over the winter but this year perhaps daunted by the size of the sailing adventure ahead of me. 

So, it was in with both feet that I awoke at 0500 on Monday 9th May.  I walked Captain (the dog who would be accompanying me) along the pontoon and back several times the levels of anxiety rising.  There were a number of jobs still to do, insert the log which tells you the boat speed through the water, take the sail cover off, attach the main halyard, turn on the instruments and sort the mooring lines out.

As I was departing I notices an old Hillyard, wooden boat built in Littlehampton passed me. In the gloom as I prepare the boat.

But by 0538 I was ready to depart and undertake my first sail of the year!  The wind was from the east, just the direction I wanted to travel.  Unfortunately boats cannot sail directly into the wind.  You have to tack, or zig zag a boat upwind. 

I left Portsmouth harbour for a while and took a route through the dolphins, a three legged structure that marked a gap in the old wartime submarine barrier protecting Portsmouth.  It was low water and spring tides meaning there are higher high tides and lower low tides and to my concern there was very little water under the keel.  I had sailed this route many times when I used to keep Poldeaux in Portsmouth harbour and never notices so little water!     I gradually edged seaward and slowing the depth increased.  I could see the boat that passed me out to sea also eading east.

 

The wind was also stronger than I had hopped being a good force 5 and sometimes force 6 and it was getting lumpy too.  This did not please Captain as this was his first sail since October last year.  It took him a long time to settle in his bed.

 

Eventually Boulder and Street buoys appeared that mark a narrow channel south of Selsey Bill, but avoids going further south to avoid the shallow water.  The best time to go through the Looe channel is slack water when the tide is on the turn, as the water is smooth, but I was late, partly because I did not wish to get up at some ungodly hour and also the boat jobs that needed doing before departure. Consequently there were standing waves where the tide now running fast over the shallows build uo into a rough patch of sea which throws the boat and its occupants about.  Not pleasant.

 

As I passed through the channel and said good bye to Portsmouth and the Spinnaker Town in the grey stormy doom.  That is the last time I will see that patch of sea for a while.

 

As I mentioned before I departed I was feeling distinctly nervous but when I thought about it now they had gone. 

 

I could see the white roof of Butlins and the other well known sights and landmarks of my home town Bognor Regis, it was 0930.   Bognor passed to be replaced by Littlehampton, my place of work for 35 years, it was 1045 and I thought of my former colleagues sitting at their desks on a Monday morning!

 

Then came Rustington,, Worthing, Shoreham and eventually the outline of Brighton appeared.

 

A number of south coast ports have been badly effected this winter by the winter storms which has caused entrances to silt up.  Brighton was one of these, but I would be arriving at around high water so this was not an issue for me.

 

Mooring was rather rushed as it is years since I have been to Brighton and as it was my first mooring of the year I was very rusty.

 

Luckily a member of staff was on hand to take my lines along with a gentleman who later advised me he did  sailed round the UK back in 2014 in his Sadler 26.  He was waiting for the engineer to visit to fix his engine.   I had arrived at my first destination, 48 miles completed and it was 1405 a voyage of 8 hours 23 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment