Wednesday 18 May 2016

Brighton to Eastbourne - 11th May 2016


An interesting day.  It had been raining all night and I woke at 0500.  A check of the forecast showed variable force 3 or less, and a smooth sea state, but the visibility was forecast to be moderate to poor with fog patches.  However, the preceding day had brightened up at about 1100 and I have radar to identify vessels and AIS (Automatic Identification System) which shows another vessels course and speed and I also transmit my position and speed using the same equipment so they know where I am.
After getting dressed in full foulies, walking Captain I was ready to go.  I followed two boats from the Netherlands, Amsterdam out the harbour into the murk.  Both were constructed of aluminium and about 55ft long and both were crewed by a husband a wife.  The Dutch certainly know how to sail!

It was a “real pee souper” with visibility 100 meters or less, grey and dank with light rain. The plan was to push against the tide to Beachy Head and then carry the floor tide up the English Channel all the way to Dover, about 65 miles. 
I soon discovered that my AIS was not picking up other vessels until they were almost upon me.  But, I thought many a person sailed quite safely with just radar in the days before AIS   I found sitting on the cockpit coaming I could see ahead and watch the data screen.  The radar was working well and picked up a ship anchored off Newhaven and the pilot boat coming to meet it.  So you asking yourself how did he know that?  I had got my I phone and I pad out which have AIS apps on them and could see what was happening. 

Time for a mini celebration and crossing the Greenwich Meridian and passing into the eastern hemisphere. 
I was passed Beachy Head, heading for the Royal Sovereign Light House and the tide was just turning and I was picking up speed when the radar decided to tell me the autopilot was not working.  Why now?  It had behaved perfectly for three hours and now despite turning the radar on and off several times and disengaging the autopilot.  No joy.

Decision time, do I press on stubbornly and hope the visibility improved or cut short my passage plan and head for Eastbourne about five miles north?
Up ahead was a narrowing English Channel and the likelihood of more traffic as I approached Dover. Plus I’d have to say very alert for another 9 hours.  I also had the words of a fellow yachtsman who I met in Brighton who sailed round the UK in 2014 ringing in my ears.  “I don’t go out in bad visibility” Mind you he did not have radar.

Or do I head into Eastbourne.  As someone who has done a lot of ocean sailing I always feel more comfortable when I can’t see land as there is less to bump into.  Many coast sailors prefer to keep land in sight.  So closing on the land was a little bit of a concern.  I also was aware the entrance to Eastbourne was currently being dredged, there was a dredger moored in the entrance and the buoys had been removed.  I was also away I would not be able to gain access until at least two hours after low water do to the slitting up. Neither had I ever been to Eastbourne before so it was all new. 
I am also aware that incidents at sea often occur when one or more thing goes wrong.  No AIS, no radar, and exceedingly poor visibility.  I was basically blind!

In my mind, reluctantly, the more seamanship decision was to head for Eastbourne 

I called the lockkeeper on Channel 17 to advise him of my situation and could he ward any exiting boats that there was a boat heading towards the fairway buoy off Eastbourne. 

I slowly motored in towards Eastbourne keeping an eye on my I-pad.  I eventually found the fairway buoy when I was about 50 meters from it!   I advised the lock keeper of my arrival and listed to other yachts trying to leave being advised of the limited depth of water. 

I gently motored round for about an hour and tried a reconnaissance trip towards the entrance but couldn’t see a thing despite being only 100 meters of so from the breakwater.      

Eventually at 1130 I called again and said I would attempt an entrance.  As I gingerly felt my way in a fishing boat called Sandella came out of the fog and shouted follow me.  As many a yachts man will know this can be fraught with danger if the vessel in front has a shallower draft. He obviously had the best of intentions so I agreed.  Initially I wished I had not as he weaved in to the shore and out again.  There is a wreck near the entrance and I certainly didn’t want to hit that.  I was keeping a very close eye on my track and on balance he seemed to be taking a safe route so I pressed on.

Finally some grey shapes appeared from the fog and I could see the shoreline and then dredger.  No sign of the leading lights that are supposed to guide you in, but eventually the locks appeared.

I tied up in the lock and went and thanked the fishermen.  Unfortunately it had been a bad day for fishing.  He mentioned he had hit the wreck several times in the past!

Lessons learnt and thoughts.

Mixed emotions.  Although I have been caught out in fog in the Solent I have never undertaken a long passage in such thick fog.  The events gave me confidence that should I be fog bound again I could handle it but slightly disappointed at not reaching my planned destination.

I had planned to spend the month before setting off testing everything worked, but storm Katie and other home events put pay to that so when I set off from Portsmouth that was my fist sail of the year!  Test things work before you start.

In hindsight I could have anchored while waiting to enter.  Or I could have anchored off Eastbourne and waiting to see if the visibility improved.  However I would not have been confident of fixing the AIS or radar out at sea for the danger of causing another problem.  In reality the visibility did not improve until the middle of the afternoon.  

On balance I feel I made the right choice and enjoyed an evening stroll down to the beach.  The visibility out to sea was still poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment